I put the world travellers back on a plane today and said bye to my break as well. Classes are back in session tomorrow and I'm heading back to my 5-kuai noodle shop for dinner. Routines and familiarity can really be a great thing. But so can taking a week off to sightsee with your brother and his wife.
It was an awesome visit--we were all worn out by the end, but we saw a lot, did a lot and ate a lot, but after it's all said and done, we really didn't see much. All week they were overwhelmed by the size and scope of the city, of its buildings, and of the Chinese people and culture around us. Well, ok, Chinese people aren't big, but for sure we only scratched the surface of this place in 8 days' time. It was a full 8 days, don't get me wrong, and it's been a full 8 months for me, but like I said, it's all just the tip of the China iceberg.
I'm going to direct you towards Scott's web site once he has that up because it looks awesome so far, and it'll be a better documentation of our travels than I can do here. Here's a quick rundown:
Split pants and Chinese cheeks, the subway, common sense, super style, fun with beginners' Chinese, "xiao peng you"s, "er shi yi shi ji xue xiao", pizza bread, awesome food, food street, stinky dofu, taxi drivers, foot massages, Sweater Cuts, the Green Umbrella, the Five Friendlies, a fanny pack, fake pocketbooks, bargaining, sightseeing, eating, more eating... and of course, lots more. But like I said, that's a start.
It's 2 months til Stacy's wedding meaning less than that til I'm back in the Mei Guo. Woot.
May 7, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment