May 14, 2006

"OK"

The globalization of the word/phrase "OK" is something really amazing to me. I was talking to my buddy Dave tonight about it (he's travelled Europe a lot, and he's just smart) and he says it's not just in China, that everyone knows "OK."

But, the meaning's often pretty unclear. I'll get frustrated sometimes with a taxi driver, for instance, who responds to all my questions (I'm speaking the best I can in Chinese, keep in mind) with "OK." Wait, I asked if you understood what I said... "OK"... do you understand? "OK." Do you know the place I just asked you to take me to? "OK." Can you take me there? "OK." Okay, I say. And we go... did he understand? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I might ask, are you from Beijing? "OK." Are you married? "OK." Got kids? "OK." You like robots? "OK." Do you understand anything I'm saying? "OK." Okay it is.

And then there are my students, who when I ask, "okay?" in class, they often respond with their classic negative reply: "nokay."

Okay? "Nokay." Okay...

"OK."

No comments: