May 23, 2006

Canadian David

He's Chinese, of course, but he lived in Canada for a few years. He's also one of my newest students (post-May holiday) and he speaks some pretty fine English, which is really awesome (especially because I hear that Canadian accent in his "yahs" for example). I've been wanting a student all year I could talk to a bit, and it's great to have David. He's not a native speaker as his parents speak to him in Chinese, but living overseas has made his English way better than the rest of my kiddos. It cracks me up the answers he gives to my questions--normal kid answers--but a riot compared to his classmate's words or two (which are sometimes hilarious too). I'll try to get a picture and post some funny stuff he says in Canadian.

Today after class David asked me if I'd see him tomorrow. I told him no, since we don't have class, but when he seemed pretty disappointed, I said I'd see him Thursday. He asked if I could meet him tomorrow outside his class to say hi tomorrow, and I told him I'd look for him. Warmed my heart, it did, to know I have a little friend I can talk with. And as I stood there, thinking about David, this other kid Jake ran up to me, licked his finger, put it on my arm, pulled it off real fast while making a sizzling sound, shook it and said, "ooh, hot."

They're all special in their own way, ya know? Be it Canadian David or Smooth Jake. (And yes, I am teaching my kids ridiculous pick-up moves.)

No comments: