May 12, 2006

Packing up

No, I'm not quite to the point of packing yet (though it was great to send a duffle bag-full home with Scott and Jaime), but that day does get closer every day. Another week of teaching's done and I'm sitting here talking to Matthew on IM about packing up for the end of his Junior year of college! Craziness.

He leaves for home tomorrow, and it's almost imcomprehensible to me that an entire year of college for him has past with me being away. I left Pittsburgh for Beijing before Matthew packed up to go to school, and here he is packing up to come home. The last eight months+ in China have felt like a long time, but not enough time to have consumed an entire quarter of my little bro's college career... I'm thinking I never saw his dorm room, didn't attend any of his Student Activities stuff, and never hung out with him and his buddies. I'm thankful we've kept in close enough contact so it feels like there's no way time could've flown this much, but I'm feeling more and more ready for my homecoming, and feeling more and more glad I'll be home for his Senior year so I won't miss his year in my old Arms apartment building, see him on Student Senate exec staff, or on his graduation day. It's tough to be a big brother, you know.

I imagine when I get home it'll feel like I've been gone for this long as I go back to now not-so-familiar places at Geneva and see my old profs and friends, but I'll face that day when it comes. For now my mind is boggled at how time flies and how Matthew is a Senior while Eddo, Nate and Chris are college grads. Congrats guys, and I guess I'll be home soon as it seems my time to pack is coming sooner than I think...

No comments: