One of the most successful things I've done in the classroom this year is this thing I call "Mr. Face." It's a laminated head with removable face parts that the kids go ga-ga over anytime I pull it out of my bag. They love putting the eyes, for example, where the ears go and making it frown and stuff like that. I let them, of course, and play dumb. Then the other kids start laughing and saying "Mr. Jon!" and we get it all right eventually. It's fun, basically.
Well, today, we're reviewing body and face parts, and we get through the basics: eyes, ears, nose, mouth... when I realize the kids are pre-occupied with their chins, pointing and scratching and so on. They want to know the word for "beard," I realize, as Wendy does a dead-pan impression of the Peking Opera "lao ren" (old man) with the long, white beard... think the Pai Mei flick if you've seen Kill Bill 2.
I've taught you kids well, I think, and then I teach them the word. Just the basics: eyes, ears, nose, mouth... and Winter Beard.
January 4, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment