January 27, 2006

Tuk-tuk and elephant rides (or, my other car is a tuk-tuk)

My travelling has brought me on to Chiang Mai, another city in Thailand, this one up in the mountains. Despite the lack of beaches and banana pancakes, Chiang Mai is turning out to be as cool (if not better) than Kamala Beach. I spent the day at a used book store and went to a hoagie place for lunch. There is a Burger King, Dairy Queen and even an Auntie Anne's pretzels place within walking distance of my hotel, and a great Night Bazaar and other places to shop and be a tourist within a quick tuk-tuk ride. One thing that's common between Phuket Island and Chiang Mai is the cheep and accessible public transportation. Mo-peds abound and also tuk-tuks, these little red, truck/go-cart taxis that you pile into the back of and pay 15 baht (30 cents?) to get anywhere across town. Unfortunately, as a first-year teacher, my company says no mo-ped renting (which I can understand--the traffic is a little nuts, and they drive on the wrong side of the road over here), but I'm content with the tuk-tuk. Tonight I'm planning to see the Narnia movie and tomorrow, an elephant safari ride through the jungle during the day and mini-golf at night. How's that for vacation? Conference starts Thursday but until then it's more of the same. Miss you all; say hi to home for me.

No comments: