December 30, 2005

Auld lang syne

I’ve always wondered what the words to the song “Auld Lang Syne” meant—that popular New Year’s Eve tune. An internet search revealed that “auld lang syne” is the rough equivalent of the old Scottish phrase, “old long ago.” And so the question begs itself:

"Should auld acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot and days of auld lang syne?

For auld lang syne, my dear, for auld lang syne!
We'll take a cup o' kindness yet for auld lang syne."

And I'll take one, too. Speaking of not all that long ago, at the end of last week the Kindergarten put on a play of the Christmas story. Unfortunately my role as Santa Claus kept me from getting a front-row seat, but here's a shot of Wendy (as Mary) delivering a monologue to the onlooking crowd.



To celebrate the new year, tonight we're making jaozi with some of our teachers. Dumplings (joazi) are traditionally made on the eve of Spring Festival (the Chinese New Year) but we're doing it early. We also have Monday and Tuesday off to celebrate the arrival of 2006. I'll be sure to post some more pictures of tonight's festivities.

By the way, thanks to everyone who sent on their Christmas wishes (by card or word of mouth) over the past couple weeks. I've appreciated so much the thoughts and encouragement from home. Happy holidays!

No comments: