
This picture's from last weekend at a Western food restaurant in Beijing. I was delighted to see Heinz ketchup--complete with Chinese characters--and though I doubt it was bottled in Pittsburgh, I made sure to tell everyone that Heinz is, of course, from Pittsburgh, and used this as a good segue into talking about why Pittsburgh is the most beautiful and best city in America.
Likewise, when Chinese people ask me where I'm from (to which I typically respond, "America" because that's all the more specific they want--maybe sometimes they'll say "where in America" to which I'll say, Pennsylvania... doesn't do much, normally I have to end up saying near New York City, in the northeast. Not too specific but the best I can do--they know NY and LA, basically. BUT when they ask my hometown I get to tell them about Pittsburgh and how it's the most beautiful and best city in America. I tell them about the three rivers and the hills and PNC Park, maybe sometimes the inclines, and make sure to tell them: If anyone ever asks you what's the most beautiful and best city in America, you can say, "Pittsburgh, PA."
Anyway, just wanted a chance to say that I miss home. I've been looking at pictures of the fall colors on the Post-Gazette's Web site. Sure is purty. Say hi to PA for me.

1 comment:
Hey bud,
Pittsburgh is very pretty right now, but it will be prettier when you are back in the summer, thats when its the best, with all the little neighborhoods bustling with commerce. Im even starting to like this place.
Post a Comment