April 5, 2006

Are you cold?

Chinese people have this thing about always wearing enough clothes. And they're really verbal about it, because they care of course. I have this thing about wearing short sleeves. I really like it. What follows is a funny exchance between me and a 5th or 6th grader in the hallway earlier today.

"Are you cold?" the girl says. She asks me this because I'm wearing short sleeves, and it's far too early in the year to be in short sleeves, no matter the weather. She's not really asking me if I'm cold, she's indirectly telling me I'm not wearing enough clothes. "No, I'm ok," I say. "Maybe a little," I confess, not wanting to be too direct/American. "I no like you have a cold," she says in a motherly sort-of very honestly concerned voice. Thank you, that's very nice, I reply and walk away. Short sleeves always makes you sick, you see, as does drinking too much cold water, by the way. (Chinese people drink their water hot.)

Later, I just so happen to pass this girl again in the hall. I'm wearing a light coat and this time I stop her. "Hi, I'm wearing a coat," I tell her, stating the obvious. She takes a hold of my arm, looks me straight in the eye and says, "It's because you are cold."

I guess she was right in the end.

No comments: